WRPA's History

Where do we come from?

The Association we know today as the Washington Recreation & Park Association was born in Collin's Field House, Seattle, with 31 charter members dedicated to furthering recreation as a profession and recreational opportunities as a public service. From that beginning, our Association has grown in size, in status and influence.

Established in 1947, and officially incorporated in 1960, the Washington Recreation & Park Association is a 501(c)(3) non-profit professional and public interest organization.

What's in a name?

WRPA has had several name changes over the years.

  • 1947: Established as the Washington State Recreation Society
  • 1966: Changed name to Washington Recreation & Park Society
  • 1976: Changed name to Washington Recreation & Park Association

in 1947, and officially incorporated in 1960, the Washington Recreation & Park Association is a 501(c)(3) non-profit professional and public interest organization.


Brit Framer, Lynn Cheeney, and Jim Webster from the 90s

Who helps run the show?

Here is a list of some of WRPA's Executive Directors

  • 2014-Present -   Tom Tidyman
  • 2013-2014     -   Sarah Luczyk, CAE
  • 2002-2013     -   Brit Kramer, CPRP, CAE
  • 1999-2001     -   Lynn Cheeney, CPRP
  • 1991-1998     -   Jim Webster
  • 1988-1990     -   Donna Jeane Goheen
  • 1986-1988     -   Pam Earle
  • 1981-1986     -   Byron Haley

WRPA's old roomies:

WRPA shared office space in Federal Way with the NRPA Pacific Service Center from April 1994 until NRPA closed all the regional offices in the fall of 2003. Pam Earl served as the NPRA Pacific Regional Director until 2003 when the office closed. WRPA then moved its offices to Lacey, where they remained until moving to Seattle in late 2013.